notes from here and there

20.8.09

Back-to-School Blues

At times like these, we wish the Grandparents were near because we all need a break!
Everyone in Texas is heading back to school and excitement is in the air. Had we stayed, Sophia would be starting Kindergarten now at Big Poe with all her Poe Co. buddies. I'm excited and happy for everyone, and I'm also a little sad. Sophia misses her friends so much. The adjustment to Australia has been difficult. At first it was fun, but the novelty has worn thin and Sophia is ready to get back home. I feel like I'm living with a teenager who yells at her parents and tells them how much she hates them. Yes, this is the same Sophia who before arriving here was easy going and got along with everybody. I don't blame her for feeling the way she does. She had a pretty good life there on Banks St. and now she's in an apartment, in a new country, not old enough for proper school and all the preschool's are full because it's late in the term. She's been stuck with mommy and face it, I don't hold a candle to her mates. That's one of the reasons we changed our plans and are not heading back to Texas until Christmas. If we went back now, there's no way I'd get her on a plane again. She's already decided she'd rather live with Mia and not come back here anyway. So after much agonizing and research we found a temporary solution until school starts in January: C&K Kindy.
The front of City Hall and the home of C&K Kindy on the third floor. The Brisbane Museum is on the ground floor and the Mayor's office is housed here too. Entry at C&K Kindy. Part of Sophia's classroom.
It's much like Poe Co. (similar curriculum and philosophy) but it's in the city. The only reason we got a spot is because they are closing the school (after 60+ years) at the end of the year for building renovations and many people have moved their children somewhere else in anticipation. Thank God for C&K Kindy. It's been a stressful transition but when Sophia came home elated and with an invitation to a birthday party, I knew we made the right decision. Her school is on the top floor of City Hall. We take the city bus to school and then ride a very cool elevator up. Believe it or not, there is lots of outdoor play space up there on the roof.
One of the playground areas.
It's crazy, I know. Who would've thought I'd put my kid in a downtown school, but there you go. You know how we sometimes wonder "what if"...what if I did it this way instead of that way. Well, that's what Australia has been for me. I'm doing everything differently — everything opposite to what I did before. It's like a parallel life but I get to live them both. I'm not sure how I feel about all this but it is what it is and I'm just trying to roll with the punches. (More like a kick in the pants.) After this, we may never move again. I'm not sure I could handle it without becoming a serious alcoholic. In fact, I wouldn't mind a drink right now.