notes from here and there

13.7.09

How to go shopping with a man (& a 5 yr. old.)

Can you believe it? Carl is dragging me shopping on the weekends. Well, maybe he doesn't need to drag me, but it's his idea to go and not just mine. Apparently he loves the local markets and so do I. Last weekend we went to the Jan Powers Market here in New Farm. We bought tons of organic groceries and meat. It was awesome. Sophia loved the Peruvian music so we hung out and had some lunch and listened to the music and people watched. Makes me think how hard everyone is trying to get the Farmer's markets to go in Houston. I think it works here is because it's almost more convenient than going to the grocery store plus the produce is way better. Face it, Whole Foods and Central Market are awesome. Here, everyone goes to the market on Saturdays. They are from 6-12 in the morning and it's everyone's family outing. Afterwards you meet at the park for "tea," meaning a mid-day meal. Last weekend, I was hoping to see some local knitters because I wanted to buy a scarf I had seen a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find them but did find Sophia a cute beanie instead at a different stall. Sophia left her fabulous pink beanie that Ouma made back in the states. She was wearing the pink one the day we were packing and getting ready to leave for Australia but somehow she didn't bring it. Maybe it was the 100º heat in Houston that made her forget. Anyhow, I can't wait for this weekend's market in the West End. It's supposed to be a bohemian part of the city with more hippies and more stuff, not just fruit & veg. I'm still looking for a scarf and of course, I need another bag. I will let you know what I find.